<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 27, 2004

LYNNE CHENEY THANKS GOD FOR VIETNAM
By Stockton

Unlike most young people in the 1960's, Lynne Cheney has fond memories of the Vietnam conflict. As Mrs. Cheney campaigns with her husband, trying to soften the Vice-President's image, she speaks nostolgically of the war era and her husband.


"I get to introduce Dick because I've known him for so long," she says at nearly every campaign stop. "I have known Dick Cheney since he was 14 years old."

Cheney typically responds: "That's true. But she wouldn't go out with me until she was 17."

It all paints a portrait of high school sweethearts, together ever since. And strategists for both parties say it's a clear attempt to soften the image of a man who cuts a divisive and hard-edged public figure.


"Thank God for Vietnam," says the Second Lady. "Most just think of it as a failed war, civilians being napalmed and young Americans losing their limbs and their lives. For me, it was a special conflict."

Mrs. Cheney explains:

"I wanted to marry my Dick for a long, long time. He was busy with college though and I thought it would never happen. Then, when he became eligible for the draft, surprise! I got a marriage proposal. It was a wonderful time."


Mrs. Cheney also credits the Vietnam War for her first child.

"When they began drafting married men they kept the exemption for fathers. As soon as Dick found out, we consumated our marriage and nine months later, I was a mother. Dick was ineligible once again for combat and our lives were perfect."


"Vietnam was a magical time." - Lynne Cheney
The Cheney's are seen here, embracing future
veterans of the Iraq War


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter