<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, October 31, 2004

UNDECIDEDS CONFUSED; CRAZY; STUPID
By Tweed

Much talk has centered on the undecided voters in this election. As we close in on election day, we at LB in 04' decided to investigate what undecided voters are looking for in a candidate, and why neither Bush nor Kerry has penetrated what many see as the key to the election.

"I'm leaning toward Mondale," said self-professed undecided voter Karl Levin, "but I like Ford, too. It's just so hard to make up my mind - and all those negative ads don't help much neither. I don't watch em'. When they come on, I turn it off."


Undecided Voter Karl Levin: Leaning Toward Mondale

Other undecideds were more to the point. Dell Smothers of Cedar Rapids was an example: "I know the President is a religious man and that God told him to be president. But I'm a little worried - why didn't God tell him about the September 11 terror attacks in advance? Did the President not get the message? I'm not sure he's getting all of God's messages; and that worries me."

Cynthia Johnson, of Portman, Michigan, was not sure which candidate more closely reflected her views: "Well, I guess I'm pro-choice, want to save the environment, think Iraq was a bad idea, hate the idea of these huge deficits, believe that the government should help keep down the cost of health care, believe we need a larger military, think that economic stability would be helped by a more progressive tax system and think the country is headed in the wrong direction. I just can't tell which candidate is for me."


Smothers: Afraid Bush Isn't
Picking Up on God's Signals

Glenn Montrose of Sydney, Ohio, had this to say: "Everyone said this was the most important election ever, and so I said I'd vote. But the people calling me with questions about how I will vote won't talk to me for more than a few minutes unless I tell them I'm undecided. I don't like Bush, so I'm voting for Badnarik, because his campaign team says that he has the best chance of beating Bush."

Vern Cox of Topeka, Kansas, said that he had made up his mind shortly before we caught up with him. "I'm voting for the talking Iguana," he said.

One group of undecideds did not reflect the psychosis found in others. Tony Burns, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, was emblematic. "I'm a republican. I voted for Bush in 2000, Dole in 96,' Bush in 92' and 88' - and of course, Reagan, Ford, Nixon. But this guy - with his irresponsible budgets, underfunding the military, trying to legislate his moral beliefs, not letting people with alternative views speak, incredibly negative advertising and gross incompetence and never standing up and taking the blame. What's worst about this administration, though, is the lack of contradicting views battling on their merits for adoption. . . it's like the conservative version of political correctness. This is not why I became a republican."


Will Old-Tyme Republicanism Stay With the President?

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter